Pre-Conference Reception - DZINE, 128 Utah Street, San Francisco
February 19, 2020
6:00pm - 10:00pm
Pre-conference networking reception at DZINE: Saké tasting, Taiko drumming dance performance, live exhibition by artist Yoko Kubrick, and an interactive engagement activity (stay tuned!).
Registration and Breakfast - Zendesk, 1019 Market Street, San Francisco
February 20, 2020
8:00am - 9:00am
Start at the registration desk, enjoy breakfast with fresh morning brew, chat with new friends you met at the pre-conference party the night before, stop by sponsor's booths located both upstairs and downstairs, and settle in before the show starts.
9:00am - 9:15am
GlobalSaké founders Talia Baruch and John Hayato Branderhorst will go through the day's agenda and tell you more about the amazing community that has much grown these past two years.
Keynote Talk - Brand to Consumer Communication: Neuromarketing and consumer behaviorial insights by Dr. Matt Johnson
9:15am - 10:00am
Clear, targeted communication is vital to all areas of the consumer experience. Despite appearing effortless on its surface, the science of human communication reveals that sharing even the simplest of ideas requires an intricate synchronization between speaker and listener. This session will provide a practical introduction to the science of communication, as well as practical insights aimed at increasing the effectiveness of communication with consumers across a wide array of settings.
- Dr. Matt Johnson, Professor at Hult International Business School, TEDx Speaker, Author. Consumer Neuroscience, Behavioral Insights & Neuromarketing (ex Nike, Princeton)
International AI - Multilingual and Language Agnostic AI: Storytelling through data and neural networks
10:00am - 10:45am
Storytelling through data: Language agnostic AI and multilingual NLP (natural language processing), demystifying neural networks in machine learning and recommendation systems. We'll explore How Words Work: Building language-specific and Language-agnostic relevancy algorithms to automate structured text data.
From localized language analysis for Spanish flavors to a scalable language agnostic approach. We'll review Séntisis' localized linguistic approach to analyze the voice of the customer for marketing and CX teams in Spanish-speaking markets and the nuances of each industry and variation of Spanish. Then we'll see a completely different approach they applied in Lang.ai- a scalable language agnostic approach that could help any industry and vertical structure text data.
How can business users build apps that structure text with their unique business knowledge and criteria without any engineering knowledge? We'll review a couple of different case study examples from different business teams in the customer service and sales space and how they built a base language-agnostic/industry-agnostic approach from the get-go.
- Luis Serrano, AI and Machine Learning Lead at Apple (ex Udacity)
- Jorge Peñalva, CEO of Lang.ai, Co-Founder of Séntisis
10:45am - 11:00am
Stretch your legs, walk around, refill your coffee cup, and share reflections with your fellow attendees.
International User Research Panel discussion
11:00am - 11:30am
In this panel, we'll discuss how to collect authentic voice of the customer through implicit & explicit user signals and qualitative & quantitative user studies, to inform us on how to best make our products make sense for our international user segments. We'll bring diverse case studies from around the globe and share insights on persona development, regional consumer behavior, and on integrating expected user experience in our product performance.
- Andrea Lee, International UX Research Lead at Linkedin (ex HSBC)
- Paul Chang, Ph.D, Director of Design at Stanford Research Institute International
- Abla Hamilton, User Experience Researcher at Google (ex Redbubble, Snapfish)
International UX Design - Design Thinking and Data Visualization for a global audience: insights into actions
11:30am - 12:00pm
Applied Design Thinking and Data Visualization to turn insights into informed decisions. Christian will share case study examples, connecting information density around the globe, unearthing layers of human interactions, and creating a universal interface.
- Christian Marc Schmidt, Founder and Principal at Schema (ex IDEO, Microsoft), TEDx Speaker
Global Growth: International SEO/SEM
12:00pm - 12:30pm
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM) are already challenging enough. When you add International in the mix, for both organic and paid discoverability & high-intent customer acquisition, it’s very easy to see how a global site can quickly become irrelevant and lost in a cross border marketplace. Michael Bonfils walks through the biggest challenges around International SEO & SEM, covering domain structure, attribution signals, schema signals, content/language adaptations and localized ad campaigns. You will learn the fundamentals and best practices around how to structure your international site to optimize growth in international markets.
- Michael Bonfils, Global Managing Director at SEM International
12:30pm - 1:30pm
Enjoy a delicious Lunch, bringing you flavors from around the globe, network with fellow industry colleagues and visit sponsor's booths.
Global Payments Panel discussion
1:30pm - 2:15pm
1. Overview of core gaps, goals and considerations for supporting cross-border transactions in eCommerce and SaaS: payment methods, processors, optimized Checkout to Complete Orders funnel, regulatory compliance, etc.
2. Current and future solutions for facilitating global payments at scale, optimizing for target regions. We'll explore, for example, digitizing mobile payments in developing geos vs mature markets.
3. Fraudulent risk-prevention methods in international--high vs low-risk geos.
4. Mobile global payments and payment platforms for the un/under-banked.
5. Strategic global payments partnerships.
- Mauricio Comi - Head of Insurance at Intuit (ex Director of Partnerships at Intuit Small Business Group, and Head of Payment Localization Partnerships at Facebook)
- Dora Chai, International Business Development at Stripe (ex AliPay, Evernote, SAP)
- Janette Chung, Head of Payments at Jobox (ex AliPay, PayPal)
- Michelle Vautier, VP Payments & Risk Product at Patreon (ex CRO dLocal, Facebook, Netflix)
Global-Ready Strategy in Product, People and Platform: Five Flash TedTalks in a row
2:15pm - 3:45pm
All too often globalization teams are focused on delivering translations. However, the globalization team should be a critical strategic impact function for the business bottomline. Effectively driving international KPIs is an extremely horizontal cross-functional effort. Companies are typically structured vertically. Therefore, for effective impact, the Globalization team needs to be positioned in an autonomous horizontal cross-functional level with high-visibility to and close alignment with the corporate core objectives. This is how you drive a holistic high-impact strategy for successful long-lasting global growth.
Global-ready in Platform means a modular platform infrastructure architecture that enables to dynamically generate the right experience by user geo and language.
Global-ready in Product means investing in truly understanding our customers within the context of their geo environment, repositioning the value proposition to address the right problem solving and to create the right local experiences.
Global-ready in People means top-down organizational structure that enables the Globalization team to align international OKRs across functions and team.
Takeaways: Attendees will learn what it takes to be a globalization strategy team vs a Localization team; how to drive round-trip alignment between all functional groups; and how to run much more than globalization strategy to lift global revenue.
- Talia Baruch, Global Product Growth Strategy as a Service (ex Google, Linkedin, SurveyMonkey); Yewser Founder, GlobalSaké Co-Founder-
- Anna Schlegel, VP Global Portfolio-to-Market Lifecyle at NetApp (ex VMware, VeriSign, Cisco, Xerox)
- Shawna Wolverton, SVP Product at Zendesk (ex CPO at Planet and SVP Product at SalesForce)
- Isabelle Bicaci, Sr Director International Strategy at OpenTable (ex Eventbrite, Square)
- Silvia Oviedo Lopez, Head of Global Growth at Pinterest (ex eBay, Yahoo)
Product Geo-Fit: Japan
3:55pm - 4:15pm
Optimizing product experience for Japan new market adoption.
- Kazu Mori, Product Localization, Japan Content Marketing Specialist at Wix
Product Marketing Localization - Fireside chat
4:15pm - 5:00pm
Product Marketing Localization: repositioning the brand story for geo-fit in international markets—case studies from Travel, FinTech and other verticals.
- Sonia Oliveira, Senior Director Globalization at Square (ex GoPro, Zynga, Adobe)
- Bea Verdasco, Director of Localization at KAYAK
- Chris Hodgson, Managing Director, Mother Tongue
GlobalSaké Closing Words and Happy Hour Networking
5:00pm - 6:30pm
Thanks for a great day! Unwind, decompress and reboot with drinks and social.